Monday, August 15, 2016

Wear Joy


I had known for a while that I should clear out my closet and get rid of some old clothes and shoes. I didn't realize how badly I needed to do this until one day I counted the number of dresses and skirts I own, and I came up with something like twenty and eighteen. And less than half of those were getting used. 

Last year my mom read The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up (yes, the book that tells you to toss anything that doesn't bring you joy) and she was able to fill several garbage bags with clothes that she then donated. When an aunt who lives near me did the same thing, I knew that book would give me the push I needed.

I read the whole book, got in the right mindset, and set every piece of my clothing on the bed. I pulled down everything that was hanging in the closet, emptied my drawers, and found clothing that I had forgotten about in boxes under the bed. Maternity clothes were heaped on there too.

Here is the little man getting boxed in by my clothes:




The process was actually quick and I almost always knew what items would go in the "see ya!" bin before picking them up. It was nice to finally move on from pants that hadn't ever fit me quite right, or tops that I no longer felt good in. In the end I got rid of over thirty-five shirts and sweaters, ten pairs of pants, and at least ten dresses. I can't quite remember because I lost my tally sheet.

All of these items were packed up in a big box and hauled off to my younger sister, who will try and sell them. Maybe I'll make enough cash to buy a few replacement shirts since I now have a small number of short-sleeved tops.

My next step is to evaluate my shoes and jewelry, both of which I have lots of but never wear. Then books and movies. Then maybe I can convince Jared to assess the joy that his clothes bring him. Or I can tell him the joy that they bring me....

But in all seriousness I am glad to have read the "Tidying Up" book. It has helped me when I come across something I know I don't need but still want to hang on to. It taught me that everything has a purpose, and I can let go once that purpose has been fulfilled. I enjoy the feeling of donating or throwing out whatever doesn't enhance my life. I enjoy simplifying. I enjoy looking around and seeing a clean living space. I enjoy knowing that I don't need a lot to be happy, and neither does my child.

No comments:

Post a Comment